Renewing Library Items
Items may be renewed:
- online through My Account in the library catalog.
- through our automated telephone renewal service.
- in person at your local library.
- by calling your local library during business hours.
To renew your items you will need:
- Your library card number
- Your PIN number
Many items may be renewed up to two additional loan periods. InterLibrary Loans (items borrowed from outside of the Allegheny County Library Association Libraries) may be renewed once. Please see our Late Fees and Loan Periods Grid for more detailed renewal limits.
You cannot renew items:
- if other patrons are waiting for that item; a hold has been placed on the item
- if the item is designated a Bestseller
- DVD sets over 6 hours
As of May 2015, you may now renew items which have become overdue. This will stop your late fee from accruing further.
To renew online:
- Go to the library's website and click on "my account login."
- Enter your library card number and PIN.
- Select the "renew" checkbox located to the right of each item you wish to renew.
- After making your selections, click on "Renew selected items."
- Wait to ensure the items were renewed properly. Watch for messages.
- Make a note of your updated due date(s).
To renew items from your smartphone or tablet, download the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh Mobile App.
Automated Telephone Renewals
To renew items over the phone, call 412.622.1895
To renew by phone you will need:
- Your library card number.
- The barcodes of any items you wish to renew.
- Automated telephone renewal is available 24 hours.
- You will need to enter the barcode for each individual item to renew.
- Whether you select to renew all items or specific items, please do not hang up until the system confirms your renewal(s). Listen carefully to the entire message before hanging up.
If you are unable to renew online or with the automated telephone renewal service, please call 412.622.3114 during these hours:
- Monday through Thursday: 10:00 am - 8:00 pm
- Friday and Saturday: 10:00 am - 5:30 pm