Appropriate Library Behavior
By entering Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh you are making a commitment to act courteously toward all other persons here; act respectfully with regard to public property; and follow all rules of this facility. Enjoy the library and allow others the same opportunity.
PLEASE observe the following:
- Keep all valuables and personal property with you at all times. The library is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Supervise children at all times.
- Follow library computer policies.
- Use cell phones in designated locations, such as the lobby or outside.
- Engage in activities associated with the use of a public library.
Customers not reading, studying, using library materials or attending events may be required to leave the building.
In order to provide a safe and comfortable environment, the following are NOT PERMITTED in the library:
- Destruction or theft of library materials or property
- Use of alcohol or illegal drugs
- Disorderly, disruptive or boisterous conduct
- Threatening, harassing or intimidating language or behavior
- Outside food or beverages. Except - Main permits food and drink purchased at Crazy Mocha on the first floor only
- Smoking and use of tobacco products
- Bathing or shaving in public restrooms
- Solicitation of any type
- Pets or animals, other than authorized service animals.
Customers are expected to maintain an acceptable standard of personal hygiene. Creating a hazardous or physically offensive condition - including unpleasant body odors that may offend other library customers as well as infested clothing or personal effects - is unacceptable. Shirts and shoes must be worn at all times.
To provide an orderly and pleasant public environment, any staff of this building, including security staff, is authorized to determine whether a library customer is not abiding by these or other Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh rules and regulations. The library reserves the right to respond to any and all conduct not expressly set forth herein but which is deemed by library staff to unreasonably interfere with the use of the library by other customers or interfere with the performance of their duties by library employees.
Any customer who violates these rules and regulations may temporarily or permanently be denied the privilege of access to all Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh facilities. A customer whose privileges have been denied may have the decision reviewed by the Library President or Deputy Director. Appropriate law enforcement authorities will be notified promptly of any unlawful activity.
The Children's Department strives to provide a welcome environment for all of its users. For the safety and enjoyment of all who use the library, a responsible adult or caregiver must accompany children in the Children's Department. While in the Library, parents and caregivers are responsible for the safety and behavior of their children.