Get a Library Card
If you are a resident of Allegheny County, you are eligible for a library card, good at the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh, its branches and most district libraries in Allegheny County.
The Classic Card is free to residents of Allegheny County or Pennsylvania residents with an Access PA library card. Library accounts expire every two years (one year for non-county residents & students) and must be renewed with ID.
To Apply for the Classic Card
- Stop by any Carnegie Library location in person and submit this print application.
- Submit your application online. (You must be 18 years of age or older to apply online.)
- To receive your card, you must present valid identification showing proof of your current address and a photo ID.
- Minors ages 0-12 require a parent to present ID and sign for the account.
- Minors ages 13-17 with their own proper ID may register for their own account. A parental notification will be sent by mail.
- Minors ages 13-17 with photo ID but no proof of address may request a postal mailer-please ask at the desk.
- Persons who are homebound within our service area and cannot visit one of our libraries may complete a Waiver of Right of Confidentiality of Library Records and designate another person to visit one of our libraries and transact his library activities for him/her.
Living Outside of Allegheny County?
- If you are a Pennsylvania resident living outside of Allegheny County and you have a card from your local Access Pennsylvania Library, you are also eligible for a free library card. Please bring in person your photo ID, proof of current address AND your library card from your home library.
- If you are a Pennsylvania resident who does not have a library card from a participating library, we welcome you to purchase an annual membership. The cost is $30 ($10 for children 12 and under). You may also wish to consider our Donor Card program ($30 for individuals/$50 for families).
- If you live in a nearby state and wish to purchase a membership, you must register in person at one of our locations. The cost is $30 individual/$10 for children 12 and under.
- Due to funding limitations, we regret that we cannot offer remote membership to anyone who cannot visit one of our libraries.