small text medium text large text

Toner Institute and Seraphic Home for Boys

Dates:
Established - 1899
Closed - 1977
Locations:
1st site - Derry Twp. (Westmoreland County)
2nd site - Dorchester Avenue (Brookline) (1917)
3rd site - Castlegate Avenue (Mt.Lebanon)
Also Known As:
Toner Farm
Toner Institute
Founder:
Sponsoring Agency:
Seraphic Work of Charity
Sisters of Divine Providence
Capuchin Fransican Fathers (1911-1975)
Notes:
Named for Dr. James L. Toner of Westmoreland County who provided in his will a fund to establish a school for boys.
Home for boys, usually Catholic, from broken or disrupted homes.
Location of Records:
Archives & Record Center Diocese of Pittsburgh
1010 McNeilly Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15226
Phone 412-456-3158 email: archives@diopitt.org
Sources:
PA Department Vertical Files (Organizations)
1933 Directory of Social Agencies
1937 Directory of Social Agencies
1943 Directory of Social Resources
1968 Directory of Health and Welfare Services
Catholic Pittsburgh's One Hundred Years, pp. 125, 183, 185, 194, 199
 
Toner Institute and Seraphic Home for Boys, 1949

Boys from Toner Institute, 1949