The following are microfilm records which can be searched and copied by Pennsylvania Department staff.
The prepaid non-refundable search/copy/mailing fee is $5/name. Search requests are limited to 5 names and one source per letter. All request forms may be printed, filled out and mailed to the Pennsylvania Department with payment.
City Directories are searched when specific names and years are provided. Pre-1929 the directories are searchable only by last name.
Download the Microfilm Research Request form.
Polk City Directories (Allegheny City/Pittsburgh): 1813-1975. 1815-1930 online: http://digital.library.pitt.edu/p/pitttextdir/
Telephone Books: Pittsburgh/Allegheny County 1880-2010
- Marriage Notice Index, Pittsburgh Newspapers: 1786-1910
- Ministers Returns City of Pittsburgh only: February, 1875-June, 1886
- Allegheny County Records:
- Marriage Notice Index: Pittsburgh Newspapers: 1786-1910
- Marriage License Index: 1885-1925; vol. 1-14, by Bride or Groom surname
- Marriage License Docket: 1885-1906; vol. 1-70
- Marriage License Dockets: 1906-present: Allegheny County Wills/ Orphan's Court: http://www.alleghenycounty.us/wo/rec.aspx
- PA Marriage licenses 1885-1950 (random years for Allegheny County) can be found: https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1589502
- Marriage Returns City of Pittsburgh 1870-75
- Marriages in Allegheny City 1877-1882
Circuit Court, 1820-1911
Microfilm Search Request Form
Use for requests of City Directories, Marriage Records and Naturalizations
Birth and Death Records
Click here to link to the Birth and Death Records information and order form page.
Click here for printable order form
- 1786-1913 ; 1963-1998; 2001- present
- 1914-1962: Indexed on: Pennsylvania State birth/death indices
article search, not obituaries
The Pittsburgh newspapers are not indexed so searches for newspaper articles will be done only when specific dates are provided.
Click here for printable order form.
General Reference Questions
For general reference questions which do not require printing or microfilm searching email: firstname.lastname@example.org