CLP - Main
|Historical Information||Press Releases|
|Project Overview||Main Library Homepage|
|Designs (released 5/22/03)||Virtual Tour of First Floor|
|Map of Main Library|
This library officially celebrated and re-opened the First Floor for service on September 22, 2004. This project archive contains community meeting summaries, designs, progress photos and news announcements. It is a record of the substantial neighborhood involvement in Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh's Capital Improvement Program.
- Fact Sheet
- Designs on Public Display at Main (dates to be announced)
- Renovated Carnegie will blur the borders between library and bookstore
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Wednesday, August 13, 2003
- Carnegie Library plans redesign
Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Friday, May 23, 2003
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Friday, May 23, 2003
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Mar 10, 2003
- Year the Main Library Building was Dedicated: 1895.
- Original Architects: Longfellow, Alden and Harlow
- Original Cost: $800,000
- Major Building Renovations/Additions: Detailed Renovations History 1895-2002
- Architectural Style: Italian Renaissance
Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh:History 1895-1969. Ralph Munn, (Director 1928 - 1964) Pittsburgh, 1970.
Main Library Firsts:
- First Children's Department in a public library - 1898
- First Technology Department in a public library - 1901
- First school for Children's Librarians - 1900