Director, Digital Strategy & Technology Integration Posting
The Director of Digital Strategy & Technology Integration will work to position CLP as a recognized, trusted and relevant resource for our community in an increasingly digital world. The Director will coordinate and prioritize system-wide initiatives related to digital strategy and technology, direct the work of the Information Technology department and work to further our organization’s digital transformation while representing CLP in local, regional and national conversations related to libraries and technology. This position will also inspire staff to keep abreast of cutting-edge technologies and develop mechanisms for communicating with and assessing the needs of staff and community members.
Essential Functions (not limited to this list):
- Provide strategic direction for the development of the Library’s digital and technology initiatives, including but not limited to, coordinating and prioritizing system-wide efforts, approving grant proposals and maintaining an overview of all technological/digital initiatives across CLP and within the eiNetwork consortium.
- Build and strengthen working relationships with agencies and key stakeholders to enhance, supplement and shape digital and technology offerings in Pittsburgh and Allegheny County.
- Articulate and advocate for the Library’s position regarding access to eResources, including leading our involvement in local, state, and national endeavors.
- Provide direction and expertise in digital library applications, including web development, emerging technologies and initiatives to help the Library innovate through technology, ensuring that virtual services are effectively and appropriately integrated with onsite services.
- Ensure discoverability and accessibility of all library resources through a variety of tools, such as the Library’s website, OPAC (online public access catalog), and other emerging mechanisms.
- Address the current and emerging needs of the community and the profession by directing the development and delivery of technology training options/opportunities tailored to residents and their diverse learning styles and expanding the technical capacity of library staff so that the potential of both online and onsite services can be realized.
- In conjunction with relevant library departments, build relationships and partnerships with outside organizations to enhance, supplement, and build digital and technology offerings at CLP.
- Review and revise technology-related policies.
- Direct the work of the Manager of Information Technology and the IT Department staff to ensure the availability of all infrastructure elements, hardware devices, software, and assistive technologies necessary to support creating, storing, managing, and accessing digital content.
- Collaborate with the eiNetwork to identify and develop countywide digital and technological initiatives.
- Working collaboratively with the Executive Directors of both the eiNetwork and Allegheny County Library Association (ACLA), shape and execute a system-wide and county-wide strategy to address the current and future technology needs of existing and potential customers.
Requirements & Qualifications:
- Extensive knowledge of current and emerging technology and its potential use in libraries;
- Demonstrated project management success, including managing multiple and simultaneous projects;
- Knowledge of public library operations, services and functions and a commitment to further the library’s mission;
- Awareness of integrated library systems and information architecture;
- Proven record of visionary leadership and an ability to persuade, engage, and articulate a vision to a wide variety of audiences. Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills;
- Ability to recognize and set priorities, embrace and drive change initiatives, and to use collaborative and inclusive leadership skills;
- Awareness of current e-resource access issues facing libraries;
- Ability to immediately provide leadership and positively impact the organization while learning the community and developing relationships;
- Five or more years of library or technology management experience, or, experience in a learning organization or related setting including supervisory experience;
- Masters in Information Technology, Library Science or related field is desirable; a documented combination of education and experience relative to the position requirements may be considered;
- Personal attributes should include a sense of humor, a positive and enthusiastic commitment to identifying and serving the needs of the public, an entrepreneurial spirit, a passion for learning and a love of reading.
- All related and required clearances for interacting and engaging with children;
- Must have valid driver’s license with acceptable clean driving record, or, ability to travel independently on own schedule;
This position posting only provides a sample of the information related to this opportunity. For further details, please see the full position announcement available on the CLP website (www.carnegielibrary.org).
Starting Salary: $90,000 - $110,000
How to Apply: First consideration given to applications received by Sept 27, 2013, with the search process remaining open until the position is filled. Interested applicants may submit their information (resumé with cover letter and salary requirements) electronically to:
June Garcia, Library Consultant